Thursday, May 23, 2013

Paddle Like You Stole It!

JIMMY LEWIS CRUISE CONTROL 11'

Review

OK, I didn't exactly steal it, but I did borrow my girlfriend's  Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control for a quick paddle before sunset last night.


The Jimmy Lewis 11' was the very first board that I ever paddled. Like they say, you never forget your first love.This is the board that turned me on to the sport of  stand up.  It was one of the first boards that we stocked at East of Maui, many years ago, when we started selling  stand up paddle boards  Since that very first paddle, I've paddled many different boards,  but hands down, the Cruise Control is still one of the best all around boards on the market.   So.....let's go for a little paddle.

Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control 11' x 30"x 4-1/2"
  

It had been windy all afternoon, and as I left the mouth of Back Creek in Annapolis I found myself paddling out in a pretty serious  chop.  JL specs the board at 170 liters of volume, and at my 195 lbs, I tend to prefer a little more floatation, but the board still had plenty of stability, and I didn't fall in the cool waters of the Chesapeake.

Chop
I immediately  violated one of my 1st safety rules of paddling and took off heading downwind. (I always recommend heading upwind 1st and then downwind toward home 2nd.)  It was  blowing 10-12 knots and I made it to downtown Annapolis in almost no time at all.  I even managed to catch a few waves on the way into town.   I took a few sunset shots photos, said hi to Capt. Jen sailing by on her beautiful schooner Woodwind, and then  turned around to paddle home.  UPWIND!

Capt. Jen & Woodwind

Annapolis Skyline

  The Jimmy Lewis boards are one of the best constructed boards out there.  Light and stiff is better. Paddling upwind and into the waves, the board jumped at each paddle stroke, and either rode over or  punched through every wave with ease. It was super fun to paddle, and for me paddling is all about having  fun. The board has parallel rails and tracks extremely well.  Its' flat bottom gives the board great glide.  At the same time, the rails are nicely rounded and the board still is maneuverable.  The couple times Sarah has let me use her board in the surf, I found it easy to catch waves and loose feeling, especially for a board that tracks so well in flat water.
Why does this board do everything so well? 
  Jimmy Lewis  has been shaping  boards over 40 years.  He knows what he is doing.  There is a difference between shaping and designing.  Jimmy still shapes his boards by feel and by hand.  Computers don't surf! 

Jimmy Lewis Construction (photo Jimmy Lewis)


 We sell a lot of different boards at East of Maui. Every board we sell has earned its place in our shop. We realize that not everyone can afford a $1649 board. We believe that every board we offer is the best in its price range.   However, there is a reason good boards cost more.  They are simply better. Period! Anyone that tells you a cheaper board is just as good as a more expensive board is lying. Better boards perform better and last longer.  Sarah uses her board several days a week in the summer, and her  4 year old board  still looks great.
Looking great under a full moon.


  If you weigh between 125 and 185 lbs and looking for one of the best all around stand up boards you can buy,  you need to look no further than the Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control 11'

Still don't believe me? East of Maui has a JL Cruise Control 11' in our Premium Demo Program.  Rent it and check it out yourself.  Maybe I will steal Sarah's board and join you for a paddle!

Aloha, MB  







No comments:

Post a Comment