Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Back to the Beach!

Surf, sand, and stoke!

Let's go surfin' now. Everybody's learning how. Come on and safari with me. Early in the morning we'll be startin' out. Some honeys will be coming along.We're loading up our Woody.....


Naish Nalu 11'6"

Knee to waist high!

 
Well, my GMC truck isn't  exactly a  woodie,  I'm not sure driving to Assateague counts as a safari, and my honey couldn't take off work, but on Monday I loaded up the boards and headed to the beach.
 IT WAS GOOD!

 I parked at the North lot of the Assateague National Seashore.  Other than a single fisherman, there was no one else around.  I could see some school kids down at he south end, but I pretty much had the place to myself.  The waves were knee to waist high, with a very strong offshore wind.
 The water temp was around 51 and I opted for my Patagonia R3, 3mm booties, and a little Patagonia beanie. No gloves. 
I grabbed the 11'6" Naish Nalu, double and triple checked my leash and headed out.  I literally had to drag my paddle to slow down on  the way out in order to time my way through the waves because of the strong wind.  I got out past the break and checked my leash again.  There was no way I was going to be able to catch my board and keep it from blowing to England if we got separated. 
I'm not a very good surfer, but I got so many waves and rides I lost count.  Nothing  rad, no cut backs, but just a ton of long, down the line rides almost to the beach. So much fun.  So good to be in the ocean again. I was out for a little over 2 hours.  I was completely toasty in my suit, but the clouds rolled in an my hands got  cool, but not unbearable.  The wind changed direction a little bit, and it started getting choppy, so I paddled in a called it a day.  I climbed out of my wetsuit and climbed in to my beach chair.
 

Surfin' the beach chair


It won't be long before the beach is packed with sunburned tourist, and I will have to take turns and share the waves with other surfers.  I read somewhere, the best surfer is the one having the most fun. Well, I was the only one out there, I was definitely having the most fun, so maybe for just that one day................


 
Aloha-MB

No comments:

Post a Comment