Monday, May 7, 2012

2012 Carolina Cup

Wow, it is hard to believe a week has flown by since being in Wrightsville N.C for the Carolina Cup.
With 3 different courses and 300 racers, the organizers did a fantastic job.  Sarah raced the 3.5 mile Harbor Island Course,  I raced the 6.5 Money Island Course (finishing well out of the money), and the Elite paddlers raced a 13.5 mile Graveyard Course.  Once again the organizers did a unbelievable job of of running 3 different races all at the same time. The Blockade Runner Hotel provided an excellent venue, and was a great host.  
In addition the all of the racing, there was a huge demo event with many of the major brands represented.  I had the pleasure of getting to meet Joe Bark.  It is pretty cool to  talk to one the premier shapers about a board, and then go paddle it.  I've said this in a previous post, there are a lot of really good raceboards out there, but anyone considering buying one, a Bark designed board should be on anyone's short list.  
Many of the sports elite paddlers were in attendance.  Danny Ching, Candice Appleby, Karen Wren,   Jim Terrell, and many others. It is hard not to be in awe of these world class athletes, but they are all very approachable and willing to share paddling tips or pose for pictures with their fans.
After my race, I crossed over to the oceanside and took a ton of pictures of these athletes finishing their race.
 I did manage to get a little SUP surf session in on Saturday afternoon, and then again Sunday morning.    It felt really good to finally spend some time with Mother Ocean and catch a few waves. I spent Sunday taking a Paddle Fit/ WPA Instructors Training Course. Even though I have already been teaching SUP for several years, it will be nice to be part of a recognized organization.
Sarah and I went for a short paddle and then spent some time on the beach before heading home on Monday.
 It was a SUPer event and a great time!

I've already posted tons of pictures on Facebook (facebook/eastofmaui), but here a a couple of my favorites from the event.




Carolina Bound. 


Danny Ching  Leading the Elite Race

Jim Terrell from Quickblade looking smooth bringing his raceboard in through the surf.

Male Podium

The Ladies all looking good

My favorite picture from the event.  Sarah took this picture of Candice consoling this young man who was unhappy with his finish of the kids race on Sunday.



A local tells me this is "The Diminishing Republic". 
   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment