Friday, January 18, 2013

SURF EXPO Jan 2013

I spent last week in Florida.  The first few days were in Orlando at the Surf Expo Tade show. 






 The show was packed with Stand Up boards.  After looking at all the  boards  available, I'm convinced that East of Maui has the best selection and the best brands of Stand Up boards available on the market today.  However, in addition to our already extensive line, we have decided to add the BOGA boards to the brands we carry in our store.  They are affordable boards and very popular for SUP Yoga. Their 12'6 Race board also has a strong following


Boga

Boga Yoga

I had hoped to see more the new 2013 Surftech SUP boards, but they were mostly focused on surf at this show. They did have the sweet new BARK Phantom on display.  I want one, but A: I can't afford it, and B: after my lack of performance at the Orange Bowl (more on that later), I'm not worthy!  But, if you can afford it, you won't have any excuses if you race this board.

Bark Phantom

  BUYER BEWARE!
I saw a lot of really nice boards at the show, but I also saw some junk.  There are few companies (and I will use that term loosely) that are copying designs and them having them knocked off cheaply in China.  Not everything that comes from China is bad, but I saw some bad stuff.  A turd painted with glitter, is still a turd.

Someone asked me what the "coolest" thing I saw at the show was, and with out a doubt, it was Ricky Carroll's   tribute board to Donald Takayama.  Donald was a legendary surfboard shaper that passed away last year.

Donald Takayama

Every so often at a demo or trade show I will try or see something I just have to have.  After getting the rundown from Pete, I'm going to have to add these fins to our store inventory, and my personal quiver.  Look for them at East of Maui soon. 

Future Keel and Triangle


 NEXT STOP: MIAMI AND THE JIMMY LEWIS ORANGE BOWL PADDLE CHAMPIONSHIPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment