Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Papa's got a brand new bag!

"Come here mama....and dig this crazy scene
He's not too fancy....but his line is pretty clean
He ain't no drag.
Papa's got a brand new bag" - James Brown



  I been paddling a bit this fall, and quite frankly, going for a long paddle in a wetsuit sucks. The new wetsuits are super stretchy and are great for surfing, occasional or short flat water paddles, but after an hour and a 1/2 or 2  hours I thought I was going to die fighting the wetsuit.  I broke down and bought a BAG!
Bags are a loose fitting waterproof / breathable suits designed to keep you dry in the water.  While there are a ton of drysuits on the market, I chose the O'Neill Boost. At $449 it is one of the less expensive suits out there.  Like most drysuits the ankles and wrists are sealed by a thin latex seal.  A reasonable amount of care is required getting into and out of the suit in order  not to tear the seals.  It is best to have help with the back waterproof zipper, but attaching a lanyard to the zipper makes it possible (although tricky) to get in and out  of it by yourself. I'm 6' x195lbs and the XL has plenty of room it, but I don't think I would have been comfortable in a large.
I hope to hit the water with it Saturday.  On the water report coming soon.

Aloha,
 Papa Mark 
Thanksgiving Paddle

3 comments:

  1. Papa Mark
    What do you recommend to keep your feet and hands toasty warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY THICK BOOTIES and GLOVES! Seriously, a 6 or 7 mm wetsuit boot and then a 3 mm glove should be fine for all but the coldest days.

      Delete
  2. Love my suit you sold me last year! Was out yesterday on a paddle fishing excursion and hooked one small rock. Looking forward to the Santa paddle! Cheers~~~><))))*>

    ReplyDelete